The Reverend Michael Flanigan

Reverand Flanigan black and white close-up in dark somewhat horn rimmed glasses and dark suit.

Dr. Edward Michael Flanigan began his ministry in November, 1948, and served until his resignation on December 31, 1969. During his early days in the community, he showed a marked ability to sense troubled persons and areas of conflict, showed great wisdom in his leadership and counseling, and provided a tremendous strength in the pulpit, a foundation upon which, during his 21 years, he continually built.

First Church experienced much of its growth in membership during the first four or five years Dr. Flanigan was pastor. Net increases in the annual membership often approximated or exceeded 100. Several families who moved away and subsequently returned to the Irwin community chose to return to this congregation. During the early 1950's, the first renovation of the present church structure took place, with another remodeling (including the present kitchen facilities) taking place during the early 1960's. By 1969, the office space had been enlarged and an assistant's office furnished. The manse also was renovated and additional property purchased to assure parking facilities.

back